OpenSplice DDS Forum
alexondi

more then 2 participiant

Hello!

I created an application where I write and read data. When I have one writer and one reader, then the data transfer rate is 200 Mbits and if I add another reader, then the speed drops to 0.5 Mbits

So, is this community edition or this is  problem in configuration?

Regards,

Alex

When I add in config

<Discovery>
            <MaxAutoParticipantIndex>100</MaxAutoParticipantIndex>
</Discovery>

I get drops from 200 to  9 MBits

As soon as >1 matching endpoints are discovered, multicast is used instead of unicast .. so perhaps your network isn't very good at multicasting.

Can you share some info on the topology (1 publisher, 2 subscribers on 1, 2 or 3 machines?), used test-app's (bundled roundtrip/throughput ones?)  and used network/machines/OS .. as such drops in performance aren't intended nor usual.

PS> the setting of MaxAutoParticipantIndex shouldn't have any influence when not exceeding 9 participants running on a single machine

1. 1 pub, ~10 sub  = 11 PC

2. Centos 7 x64| Debian 9 x64, LAN - 1Gbit ( I211 & I219 cards, i7-7700)

3. used internal project which was migrated from TCP Client-Server architecture .

lan.xml

hmmm .. this 'smells' like a multicast-issue that I've also seen on some of our networks .. should be reproducable with 'iperf' (using a version that supports multicast such as iperf2.0.5, please see this behavior when running between 2 'Opteron' based Ubuntu16 machines connected by a 1gbps network:

image.png

So here you see that when using multicast, there's a huge data-loss happening (in the switch most likely).

PS> you might need to add a route to 'map' that multicast address (224.4.4.4) to the correct inteface adapter (enp1s0): /sbin/route add -host 224.4.4.4 enp1s0

I've added a seperate/standalone 1gbps switch on the second interface-adapter (enp2s0) and tried the above again:

image.png

So now I can multicast between those 2 machines 'correctly' ..

Curious to see if you could perhaps suffer from the same issue ..  

1. when I run  iperf test I get for udp

[  3] local 192.168.0.202 port 34064 connected with 192.168.0.201 port 5001                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
[  3]  0.0- 1.0 sec   114 MBytes   955 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  1.0- 2.0 sec   113 MBytes   952 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  2.0- 3.0 sec   114 MBytes   953 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  3.0- 4.0 sec   114 MBytes   954 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  4.0- 5.0 sec   114 MBytes   953 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
^[[B[  3]  5.0- 6.0 sec   114 MBytes   953 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[  3]  6.0- 7.0 sec   114 MBytes   954 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  7.0- 8.0 sec   114 MBytes   954 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[  3]  8.0- 9.0 sec   114 MBytes   953 Mbits/sec
[  3]  9.0-10.0 sec   114 MBytes   953 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.11 GBytes   953 Mbits/sec
[  3] Sent 810691 datagrams

2. for multicast

3]  0.0- 1.0 sec  11.7 MBytes  98.1 Mbits/sec
[  3]  1.0- 2.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  2.0- 3.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.9 Mbits/sec
[  3]  3.0- 4.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  4.0- 5.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  5.0- 6.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.5 Mbits/sec
[  3]  6.0- 7.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  7.0- 8.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  8.0- 9.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.3 Mbits/sec
[  3]  9.0-10.0 sec  11.4 MBytes  95.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   114 MBytes  95.9 Mbits/sec

3. I change "AllowMuticast" parameter to "sdpd" and all works. but I not really understand what I did and I work with only 3 subscribers and don't really sure if we can work with >10 subscribers

.. and for completeness .. here's a screenshot of a multicast 'run' between 3 machines (publisher on 'perf1', and 2 subscribers on 'perf2' and 'perf3'):

image.png

I've also included the 'top' output of the sending machine.

So here you can see that when sending 4K samples, a multicast throughput of appr. 850 mbps is achieved with a sending-side DDSI-transmit-thread load of 61% of 1 core (and a publisher-application load of 25% of another core (just forget the azure/influx/modbus stuff which isn't related to this test :) )

Note that I've used 'top' in Irix mode (so it shows the load on individual cores) and 'threads-enabled' (so that you can see the induced load of each individual thread).

PS> I used the ospl_sp_1gbps.xml config-file as that's fine for running on 1gbps networks. And as I've used a separate multicast-network via the 'enp2s0' interfaces, I've replaced the 'auto' interface-choide in that xml-file by ${INTERFACE} so that I can control the interface to use by an environment-variable which I've set to that 'enp2s0' interface-name i.e. like this:

image.png

W.r.t. your results and changing multicast-usage for spdp only:

Changing that AllowMulticast setting to spdp implies that you use multicast ONLY for discovery yet NOT for the actual data-flows towards discovered endpoints.

So what you're than basically doing is to send repeatedly (over unicast) to each endpoint, which on a fast machine (like you have) is probably fine for a limited number of 'reader-machines' but with increasing numbers, you'll see the throughput dropping because the writer's DDSI 'xmit.user' thread will eventually max-out the core that its running on.

So if you get acceptable performance, its an option to consider but I'd surely verify if the root-cause (which I think is 'your network') can't be resolved.

In our case (where we observe that same performance drop and where the iperf version I've used also shows the 'dropped-messages' on the server-side as 88%), there's an 'uplink' to a 'fire-box' that apparently 'chokes' on multicast-traffic and with that cripples the multicast-performance of the switch that hosts the 'performance-machines' .. and using a cheap yet 'dedicated' 8-ports gbit-switch (that has no uplinks) has resolved that issue .. perhaps at least worth a try :)

Good luck,

-Hans