OpenSplice DDS Forum
rowen

Can a reader get only the last history item and yet have a larger history queue?

I would like to configure a DDS topic reader as follows:

- a read queue with at least 100 entries, so I can occasionally fall a bit behind and not lose data

- on startup read only the single most recent historical (late joiner) value for that topic

The only relevant setting I have found is KEEP_LAST_HISTORY_QOS which seems to control both the size of the read queue and also how many historical values are read. I realize I can simply ignore the extra historical data, but it takes time for DDS to copy it. I hope I am missing something simple.

In case it matters, I am using the VOLATILE settings because I only care about historical data if the writer is still alive.

HI,

you're confusing history and durability:

• history
    • using a KEEP_LAST (with depth 'n') history, allows for each instance (i.e. 'key-value') to maintain up to 'n' samples (like a FIFO queue)
    • meaning that when you don't read 'fast enough', oldest samples will be pushed out of the reader's history in favor of newly arriving samples
    • noting that the KEEP_ALL variant (i.c.w. RESOURCE_LIMITS to 'cap' the resource usage) introduced flow-control where you block the writer(s) if you're not reading fast enough
    • so in your case, a KEEP_LAST reader-history setting with a depth of 100
  • durability
    • for non-volatile data there's 3 variants: TRANSIENT_LOCAL, TRANSIENT and PERSISTENT durability
      • all 3 flavors allow to retain some 'historical data' for late-joining applications
      • how much data is maintained is driven by the topic-level (!!) QoS-policy settings called DURABILITY_SERVICE (with a history-kind, depth and resource-limits)
        • these settings are on 'topic-level' as writers/readers might not even be present whilst preserving non-volatile data
        • I know the specification isn't that clear about this, but at least this is how OpenSplice DDS works
      • the difference between the 3 being:
        • TRANSIENT_LOCAL data is maintained at the publisher/writer side and its lifecycle is coupled to that of the writer (i.e .writer gone, data gone)
        • TRANSIENT data is maintained by a (distributed set) of durability-services (in our community-edition, these are implicit within each application's library)
        • PERSISTENT data is also maintained by durability-services and is (optionally) written to non-volatile storage (i.e. disk) so it outlives system downtime
    • guess you're looking for TRANSIENT_LOCAL which  topic-level durability_service QoS-settings of history_kind=KEEP_LAST and history_depth=1
      • which will provide the last written sample (for each instance) for your late-joining application

Hope this helps.. 

Thank you very much. For the record: this works great if I set history_length in my default QoS file, and the way to do it in dds Python is to use a dds.DurabilityServiceQosPolicy

However, I was hoping to have writers offer more history than most readers read. One reader wants the extra, but the rest do not. So I tried to create one topic for writing and one for reading, with the latter using a shorter history_length (but otherwise identical policy). Unfortunately, creating the second topic fails. Sounds like I'll just have to discard the extra history. I wish readers supported history_length separately from topics.

hmm not sure I understand: the history-depth is 'local' for each reader, so any of those can configure an arbitrary depth.

If its about TRANSIENT/TRANSIENT_LOCAL data historical-data availability for late-joiners, then its indeed the topic-level durability_service QoS setting for that topic that defines the amount of 'maintained-historical-data' for any late-joiner (of that topic). Yet still, if your reader calles wait_for_historical_data it will still be the case that you'll see 'at most' your local reader's history-depth of historical samples (as the rest will be pushed-out during the 'provisioning-of-that-historical-data') 

To clarify what I tried: I made a topic with a normal and reasonable history_length and made a writer from that. Then I tried to make another topic instance (using the same domain participant) with a history_length of 1 for my reader. Creating that second topic failed. No big deal, just a minor disappointment. Note: I have no desire to limit the read queue length itself to a length of 1 because I need to be able to handle bursts of data without losing any. Again, not a big deal. I'll just throw out the historical data I don't want.

Hmm .. I still smell some confusion about durability and history:

As 'durability' is about preserving  non-volatile data potentially (for TRANSIENT/PERSISTENT) outside the scope/lifecycle of the producers/consumers, configuring that can NOT be related to QoS's that apply to those (potentially non-existing) writers and readers so (therefore) its configured/defined on the topic-level (unde the DURABILITY_SERVICE QoS-attributes). And as topic-definitions are system-wide, those durability-settings are also system-wide.

So then there's reader- (and also writer-)history which define purely-local behavior which in case of reader-history specifies how much historical-samples to maintain in that reader, something typically used to prevent samples 'lost' (pushed out of that FIFO queue) in bursty environments. And that 'depth' is fully controllable when creating a (or multiple) readers.

Yes. My use case just doesn't fit the OpenSplice data model as well as it might. I care about the difference between late joiner data (samples written before I created my reader) and current data (samples written after I created my reader, though I may not have actually read them yet). Most readers only want a single sample (the most recent) of late joiner data. (I am trying to avoid the term "historical").

So I call `wait_for_historical_data` on the reader after creating it, then discard all samples except the most recent before I start processing samples. It means I may discard some current data (especially since `wait_for_historical_data` can take a shockingly long time) but it's good enough. It may well be better than trying to process the 5+ seconds of current data that accumulates while I am waiting for `wait_for_historical_data` to finish. In any case I see no alternative, since I have found no way to tell the difference between late joiner data and current data in the reader.