OpenSplice DDS Forum
arose

Create topic with type name having '.' instead of '::'

Hi,

I am trying to subscribe to a publisher whose type name is formatted as "a.b.c" and written with RTI but when I try to replicate the '.' instead of '::' in opensplice I get an error when trying to create the topic.  Has anyone tried this before?  Is it even possible with opensplice?

A bit of background: I've generated the files from the .idl and have changed the '::' to '.' in the generated Xsacdcps.c file to no avail.  The error is that the type is not found.  The type is registered without an errors; the retcode is OK.

Thank you.

editing output of idlpp is generally a bad-thing to do so I doubt that anybody else has experienced that same issue.

I'm trying to understand what you'd like to achieve .. is it about modules in the IDL (and related 'fully-qualified-type-names that migh have ::) ?

Otherwise, if its about topi-names, those can't have a '.' in them.

I realise that editing the output of idlpp isn't the correct thing to do but I just wanted to try and see if it'd work.

I have a publisher (which I don't have the source code for) that has a type of parentModule.childModule.structAType (sorry, I can't post the actual type) and a topic of structA.

I've generated code using idlpp from the given idl (which does have :: in it).  When running the subscriber (without editing) it has a type of parentModule::childModule::structAType and I'm giving it a topic of structA, but when I publish I receive nothing in the subscriber.  They're on the same domain.

I thought that changing the type to be the same would fix it (hence why I edited the output of idlpp) but that just gives me the aforementioned ospl error.

In OpenSplice the typename you pass to the register_type operation is only used inside the participant itself to locate the the meta-data given the type_name parameter of your create_topic operation. However, in the builtin topics the IDL name is always advertised, regardless of the type_name you specified in your register_type call. This is to avoid two applications compiling the same IDL but using different type_names from not being able to communicate with each other.

The IDL typename used in the builtin topic is always fully scoped, using the IDL scoping operator "::". So interopeability with other vendors is going to be hard if you do not pick the IDL type name when registering your datatype.