OpenSplice DDS Forum
davide

Community Edition Installation

We're trying to complete a small project with OpenSplice Community Edition, but I'm confused about the installation instructions.

I've downloaded the software from here (for Windows x64, VS 2015):

https://www.adlinktech.com/en/dds-community-software-evaluation.aspx

Later in that page it says you will receive a "welcome e-mail containing your 30-day Evaluation license", which I haven't, but I assume that doesn't apply because this is Community Edition.

This it says "Install the software" and "Run setup.com (Linux) or setup.bat (Windows) in the <Vortex_Installation_Directory>//bin directory". But the download is just a zip file, not an executable, and I can't see an installer, so have just unzipped it. And setup.bat does not exist in the "bin" directory.

Then looking at the Getting Started guide from the "docs" folder, it says:

Run the installation wizard for your particular installation, using:
    P<code>-VortexOpenSplice<version>-<E>-<platform>.<os>-<comp>-<type>-<target>-installer.<ext>

But I can't see such an installer.

So I have just unzipped the package, and figured out that I needed OSPL_HOME and OSPL_URI, which I have set up manually, but I am not sure if the installation is complete, or why the instructions do not match.

Any info on this? Thanks.

Hi,

Yes the page is indeed wrong (thanks for notifying, I have passed it on to the webmasters) as it confuses a commercial-trial version (which indeed comes with an installer and a temporary license) with the opensource-edition which (of course) doesn't come with any licensing and doesn't require an installer.

So its indeed a zip file which you have to unzip  in your 'installation_directory'.

Now you'll see a 'release.bat' script in the <installation_directory>\6.9.181127OSS\HDE\x86_64.win64 directory which you need to execute to setup the required environment (or you could modify your environment to set the required variables: OSPL_HOME,  OSPL_URI, OSPL_TMPL_PATH and PATH)

Now you should be able to compile/run the examples and/or your own applications.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this helps ..

Thanks,

-Hans

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for confirming that, that's really helpful.

I have one more question. I see various documentation referring to starting services, e.g. the Domain Service, but I cannot find the tools to do that in this environment. I have found "osplctrl.bat", but this refers to "ospl.exe" and that does not exist in this environment, so it does not run.

Does this mean there are no services to be started in the Community Edition, and the only option is the Single Process deployment?

Thanks.

Hi Davide,

You're right, the documentation indeed refers to 2 different deployment modes:

1. standalone/single-process mode
    • this is the default mode and implies that the middleware is 'bundled' with the application i.e. a dynamically linked library
    • which is the easiest deployment as there's no such things as services/daemons that have to be started (first) and the middleware's lifecycle is simply that of your application
    • and is (therefore) the mode supported by the community-edition
  2. federated mode
    1. in federated mode, multiple (federated-)applications 'share' a single instantiation of the middleware
    2. thus allowing for extreme scalability when running many applications on a single machine as well as end-to-end determinism w.r.t. latency between nodes (as all traffic in/out a node goes through a single 'network-scheduler' which is a federated DDS-service that schedules any traffic based on the transport_priority and latency_budget QoS-policies as set on the written samples
    3. this mode is only supported by our commercially-supported edition

The used OpenSplice configuration (pointed to by the OSPL_URI environment variable) includes a boolean setting (under Domain) called "SingleProcess" that selects this 'standalone deployment' when set to 'true' (which is the case in the default config-file called ospl.xml). For federated deployment (which isn't supported by the community-edition), that's set to either 'false' or ommitted).

Hope this clarifies your question a little ..

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for clarifying. Yes, I found the "SingleProcess" flag in the config file, and tried setting this to "false", and found that things then did not work - I now understand why :-)

It seems that much of the documentation, even the Getting Started guide, which is included with the Community Edition download, actually only applies to the commercial edition. This has caused me quite a lot of confusion as I kept reading things in the documents which did not seem to match the software I had downloaded.

Best wishes,

David